Friday, July 11, 2008

34

Tuesday, July 8, 2008, Cedar Canyon Campground, Utah
Well, since we went to bed so late, I was the first one up at 8:00, so I ate Raison Bran and let everyone else sleep in. Later we decided to go to a campground before the summit and be at Panguitch Lake in two days instead of one. We wanted to be sure to go there because the fishing was supposed to be real good. Before we headed out, we had the van tire patched; it had a slow leak which turned out to be a nail. We also ate lunch and had our Bible time. Finally we pedaled off toward the 10,000 plus foot summit. Adriana and I rode real slowly; we didn’t want to tire out too quickly. We stopped every couple of miles at first and snacked and drank. It was nice to take it easy; I never really got tired. The terrain changed dramatically- cedar and pine trees everywhere and the road winding its way through sheer mountain walls. After about 12 miles of climbing, we came to campground and decided to stay. Of course, Gloria was waiting for us at the 15 mile mark, so I had to pedal up further to let her know. Fortunately, she returned before I reached her. We camped at the first campsite to the right of the entrance, a nice site with a fire pit, water, trees, and next to a fresh water creek. We made a nice fire and I barbequed 10 pounds of chicken. Later we roasted marshmallows and I burned my lips on the metal fork I was using as a pole. Not too smart. 14 miles.

No comments: