Tuesday, August 5, 2008

62


Tuesday, August 5, 2008, Bed and Breakfast in Dighton, Kansas
I'm going to try this method of keeping the journal up: I'm going to enter information in it whenever possible, even before I finish the day, and I will add additional information later. Right now we are in a library in Dighton, Kansas, taking a break. We haven’t decided if we are going to stay here for the night or go on. The wind has been against us all day and we’ve only gone 24 miles since we left Scott City this morning. We’ll see. We got up a little later than usual because I got up around 5:30 and noticed it was overcast and the wind blowing against us, westerly, so I didn’t think we needed to start early because we might not go too far today. Randy and Jonelle got up and we talked a lot about the trip. They want to sell their belongings and travel around the country in an RV next year, so they could identify with a lot of our feelings. We finally got going around 8:30 under full cloud cover, cool skies, and a headwind. After about 10 miles, the kids called out for me to stop. I thought one of them was having bike trouble. When I turned around, I saw Randy running over to me. Did we forget something at his house? He reaches out his hand to me, and as I shake his hand, he deposits a 100 dollar bill in it, Then he smiled and left. What a blessing! God is surely taking care of us, and may we somehow be a blessing to others. We averaged around 9 mph, quite a contrast to yesterday, and most of us never really felt too energized. When we finally arrived in Dighton, I was glad to stop. We made our usual stop at a convenience store for drinks and to relax a bit, then we went to the library, where we are now. A few minutes ago, a woman came in, looked at me, and asked, “Are you the ones with the bikes?” and then offers us a place to stay a block or two away. It was an old home she was making into a bed and breakfast but it wasn't finished completely. I asked her how much it would be and she said, "Oh, $30 would be fine.
I haven’t even told Gloria yet. I’ll see what she wants to do. I’ll update this entry later........
Well, after she left, I told Gloria about the proposition and she wanted to see the house, so we called the woman and rendezvoused with her there. It was beautiful on the inside, but the outside needed a paint job. Built in the late 1800s, it had high ceilings and plenty of space. There were two bedrooms and two bathrooms, a kitchen, living room and parlor. It was clean and newly remodeled on the inside. She gave us the keys and we went to the store to buy some meat for the evening meal. We all enjoyed lounging around on the beds and couches and listening to different kinds of music on the CD player. After eating and showering, we had our Bible time and finally used the hymnals the nice lady from the Austin Baptist Church had given us and had a nice long time singing the good old hymns. So today was a short riding day, only 24 miles, but we really enjoyed the change of pace and relaxation of staying in the old bed and breakfast (only without the breakfast).

No comments: