Saturday, September 20, 2008

108



Saturday, September 20, 2008, Castillo's garage, Newport News, Virginia
Mr. Castillo got on the job right away and found out it was the fuel pump. It was going to be a costly replacement, but we have no choice. We went to the nearby Hardee's to use their restroom. I bought a breakfast burrito that ended up costing me over $3 (including the 11% junk food tax). What a rip off. At around 11:00, the kids and I rode our bikes over to their favorite place, the library. I, like a dummy, forgot the device which enables me to upload photos onto the blog site, so hence, no photos. We didn't leave until late, past 3:00, because I had a lot to catch up on.
To be continued...
When we got back to the Castillo Garage, he had already finished replacing the fuel pump and charged us very little; he wanted to help us; Later, he let us all take showers there. Yes, he had one in his garage. It was so good to finally take a shower after three days. He told us we could stay and tent as long as we needed, no problem. Nice man. We were very hungry and decided to splurge and go to the buffet Mr. Castillo suggested: the Golden Corral. It was delicious and I think my stomach has grown accustomed to stretching far beyond normal on these occasions. I must have eaten six or seven plates of a variety of food. I amazed myself. It reminded me of when I was in college and could eat for hours, continually going back for plate after plate, a bottomless pit. The biking has increased my metabolism a lot. I've lost about 15 to 20 pounds and am at my fighting weight: 160 to 165 pounds. Oh well, I'll enjoy it while I can. I'll probably gain a pound a day when the trip is over. After the buffet, they all wanted to go to one of their favorite places, Barnes and Nobles. I was feeling the after effects of the buffet stuffing, and couldn't stay awake, so I slept in the van for the hour or so they were in the store and went straight to bed when we arrived back at the tent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am so jealous! been following you guys for weeks. hope you're having a good time.

The Wheelers said...

Congrats on reaching the east coast. We're charting you on a U.S. map in class. The kids love it. All our prayers are with you. Enjoy the pretty leaves.

Fox Family Cross Country Bike Tour said...

We visited Washington D.C. for three days. The weather finally caught up with us. Lots of rain. So much to see, so little time. We are spending the night in Olney, Maryland. Say Hi to all the kids for me.