Wednesday, September 10, 2008

98





Wednesday, September 10, 2008, Campground, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia
It rained a little last night but not on the tent since we put it on the concrete under the pavilion. It was a little hard though, even with the air mattress. Phil Dawson rode out today on Billie his horse to continue his journey cross country. We left the park at 9:15 under a thick overcast sky, and the bank thermometer said 50 degrees. I was feeling tired, not my self, and cold. The terrain was gentle for the first 8 miles east then began to get hilly. We made a long hour rest stop after about 28 miles, and I just lay down and tried to sleep. Closing my eyes probably did me good. A mile later, in the town of Lewisburg, we took another break at a gas station for popcorn and soda. I just tried to sleep. Now we are at the Lewisburg library taking another break after less than a mile. Lots of breaks. Actually, I have to correct an error in the blog that Adriana reminded me of: Phil and Nona's dog Sophie is a BULLDOG, not a boxer [Sorry it took me so long Phil]. Hopefully, we will make it to Virginia today.
To be continued...
Well, we rode to White Sulphur Springs, only 5 miles from the Virginia border, and found a motel where the lady said she would charge us only $15 and open a room to let us use the shower. So we did it, even though we quit early. I was glad because I was run down. I need a good sleep. So after setting up the tent and showering, we went back to the library where I am now. I took a picture of a silver painted car... done by an amateur. Earlier, I emailed Jesse Castro, my old Liberty wrestling buddy to see if we could meet tomorrow or the next day when we arrive in Lynchburg, only 70 miles away.
To be continued...
Before going to bed, we stopped at a grocery store and bought food for dinner. Everyone was hungry. I was tired, so I went to bed right after. 42 miles.

6 comments:

Bill said...

Hi Foxes,

This is Bill Fox again. Our family moved to Georgia from Maine this year. We are adjusting to the new climate and lifestyle. I think you'll like Maine when you get there, but it will be cool by then. We are expecting our 6th child next week and we'll quit at that. :)

Fox Family Cross Country Bike Tour said...

What part of Maine did you like the most?
Bill

Bill said...

We lived in Aroostook County, near Presque Isle. It is the big sky area of New England with rolling hills, potato fields and more woods than anywhere else in the East. As far as scenery goes, the coast of Maine from Portland north is beautiful. You'll want to see that.

If you get to Maine in early October you might want to visit Fryeburg Fair. There is a lot to do and it is nestled in the hills of Western Maine. The foliage will be at or near peak.

We live in Rome, Georgia now. The bike riding is great here because the weather is so consistently nice.

God bless you and your family. I pray that He clearly leads you to the next stage of life and that your level of love and trust in Him grows exponentially.

Bill

Fran said...

Hi Foxes,
What a joy to catch up with all of the adventures on your ride. It renews our faith that the heart of America is its people. You have been blessed and protected along your way. When do you expect to arrive in Yorktown? Our prayers are with you.
Fran and Jack

Fox Family Cross Country Bike Tour said...

Dear Fran and PCA Family:
We arrived in Lynchburg, Virginia on Friday, the 12th. We are spending 4 days at the house of Bill's old wrestling coach. The people who knew him when he was at Liberty University are encouraging him to inquire about working there. Bill expects to arrive in Yorktown by Thursday, 18th. Please pray for God's guidance in our future. We are keeping Pastor Moon in our prayers. Love to all.
Gloria and family

Paul Fox said...

Hi Bill, I imagine seeing Liberty was a sentimental journey for you. Do you still plan to see D.C? If so, you MAY go through Falls Church and it would be interesting if you could see our old house. We think and pray for you every day. (U) Paul